Who hugged the NFL commissioner longest. I won’t wreck the ending, you’ll need to watch.
Not only was this draft incredibly deep in talent, but it was extremely deep in amazing monikers. Sure, I did absolutely zero research, but look at some of these grade-A names and tell me that this wasn’t a banner year:
- #4 Orioles: Dylan Bundy - Get ready for a whole host of Married with Children jokes.
- #6 Royals: Bubba Starling - I’ve already covered the not-so-great history of Bubbas in Major League Baseball.
- #10 Padres: Cory Spangenberg - He’s already got a home run call: “It’s a berg! It’s a spang! No, it’s Spangenberg!”
- #13 Mets: Brandon Nimmo - Captain Nimmo, Finding Nimmo, choose your poison.
- #17 Angels: C.J. Cron - He shares a name with a terrible disease, but the initials give it a spunky, after-school movie vibe.
- #18 Athletics, Sonny Gray - Sonny Gray was the name from an unpublished W.P. Kinsella novel.
- #22 Cardinals: Kolten Wong - An undersized Hawaiian second base? Yes, please.
- #26 Red Sox: Blake Swihart - Is he a high school catcher or brooding and handsome doctor on a daytime soap?
- #29 Giants: Joe Panik - First choice of at-bat music: Panic by the Smiths. Second choice:
- #31 Rays: Mikie Mahtook - No joke. Just a fun name to say. Try it.
And this was just the first round where the players need actual talent to be selected. Get ready for the 30+ rounds where teams will take players solely because of their names.
Atlanta jumped all the way up from 27 to 6 by trading with Browns.
Nick Saban student Julio Jones will be lining up across from Rody White. Mike Mayock loves this wide receivers physicality!
The falcons gave up a ton but when there’s a guy sitting on the floor in a lavender bow-tie you have to take him.
Cincy takes a wide receiver. Makes sense right?
Ocho will be gone soon. Next year if not this year. So they will have Andre Caldwel, Jordan Shipley, Jerome Simpson, and Jermaine Gresham. Quite the stable of young receivers. Too bad they need so much help on defense.
The Buffalo Bills have selected DT Marcell Dareus out of Alabama, as the 3rd overall pick in the 2011 Draft. Bills have a lot of holes to fill, so they really couldn’t go wrong with anyone on the board at the moment.
I suppose if you’re a Buffalo fan, this season is already looking up!
Hat tip to Parker and Booker (who are still too cool for Twitter).
Gary used Mel [Kiper, Jr] like that all the time. In the agent business, people know Gary and Mel are close, and some people suspect that Mel ranks players more favorably if they are Gary’s clients.