Per Schefter & Mortensen at the four-letter, details have come out that the San Francisco 49ers have snuck their way into the running for free agent QB Peyton Manning.
- Peyton has already worked out for them at Duke.
- Niners were so impressed, that they flew their team physicians out immediately for tests and a physical.
- In light of the Niners interest, the Arizona Cardinals have been told that they should proceed as though Manning will not be available to them.
- Thus, the Cardinals have now tendered QB Kevin Kolb for $7 Million rather than release him to save the money.
- Officially 3 teams are now in the running: Niners, Tennessee Titans, & Denver Broncos.
- Broncos GM John Elway checked out Peyton throw today and liked what he saw.
- This might explain why the Niners have yet to re-sign veteran QB Alex Smith and maybe even why they signed WR Randy Moss.
What do you think of these new details and how do you think it all plays out?
It appears that the once promising young quarterback has lost favor in Arizona. His days with the Cardinals seem to be numbered, but where will he land? The Giants were rumored to be interested, but that idea was squashed. Joel Thorman will keep you up to date with our StoryStream.
If Hawkins doesn’t make the team in Arizona, there may be a future for him in track.
This should cause for some interesting readjustments in upcoming drafts. He should be ready by the time the regular season rolls around, but it does creep some doubt into one’s mind.